Thursday 16 February 2012

Veg bed prep

Half term this week and the weather has been really kind to us in West Cumbria. I really wanted to get all the veg beds dug over this week, but a neck injury has slowed me down. Its amazing what a big help the strapping 16yr old son of my next door neighbour has been. A bit of money for him and lots of digging done for me. There does not seem to be a pattern for how much rubble will be in the beds. Some have been really quick to dig, some take hours due to the volume of stone and boulders. I am keeping the really big ones to use for added interest in the borders, as they are really nice stones, just no good in your veg beds. ONE BED TO GO!

I have covered a couple of the beds in some black plastic. Actually recycled the stuff used to wrap the trees and hedging that was delivered a few weeks ago. It's the perfect width! Need to get hold of some more though, as I want to warm up the beds to get some early sowing done.

We have had a bit of wind today, and my wind mesh has taken a battering, I do not think I used those plastic zip tie thingys properly, as they have come undone. I have had another bash and it seems to be holding up ok for now.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.